Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Who are you talking to?

Books I've read recently, am reading or am going to read soon.

Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable
Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing out of Sync?
Join the Conversation: How to Engage Marketing-Weary Consumers with the Power of Community, Dialogue, and Partnership
Marketing to the Social Web: How Digital Customer Communities Build Your Business
Identity Crisis: 50 Redesigns That Transformed Stale Identities into Successful Brands

Maybe it's because I've been involved in marketing in some way most of my working career, but I'm exhausted by advertising. I can barely tolerate the drone of infomercials, and the ad books they call magazines. I have become extremely skilled in avoiding, ignoring, or otherwise obliterating all TV ads (thanks to my DVR!). The new in show product placement strategies being foisted upon us is my next target.

So, why do I stay in "marketing"? It's one word, "Kanakuk". I get to tell the story and share the history and richness of 82 years of some of the best Christian camping in the world. There's something to believe in, something that if I communicate it clearly to you, your family will benefit eternally. Bam! That's it and for me it's powerful. I have to love what I'm doing and feel like I'm making a difference or I start getting the new job itch.

I was at my last job for less than three years. It felt like 30 years. It was highly educational but elicited no passion. I've been at Kanakuk now for over 8 years and it feels like I just got here! Part of it is sharing the task with some of the most talented people in the business.

Back to my book list...

If I'm tired of the advertising, I know you must be too! I'm trying to get my head and heart wrapped around communicating in a way that will break through even my hardened senses. So, you see that represented in my book list. I think I have it figured out, but help me with this one because me "figuring it out" has nothing to do with the solution.

If you are in marketing let me ask you this: Who are you talking to?

Tomorrow we tackle the answer and I make a confession.



Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

No comments: