Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Facebook Connect and You and Me

There is much about the new Facebook Connect that I don't understand. Thankfully Jeremy works here. He gets it.

What I do understand is that with a little effort on our part you can login to Facebook on kanakuk.com and let your friends know what you are doing. Here is an example of a site set-up to demonstrate how it works.

While I think what they did with the demo site is pretty cool, I'm not sure that's the way we would want to implement it on the Kanakuk Kamps website. It feels like the connection is pretty loose and the lack of information about exactly what will be shared would make me hesitant. How would you feel about letting your Facebook friends know that you just registered for next summer, or posted to the Kanakuk "Sayso" forums area, or just commented on a Director's blog post? If you get a chance to check out Facebook's example site, please let me know what you think.

Whatever we do it will be with your permission. You'll have total control over how Facebook connects you with your Kanakuk experience.

Yesterday I posted about the Ricky Jimmerson and Tracy Ashcraft taking on Director roles at the new KAA facility (this year's Kanakuk Klassic). If I had been thinking I would have asked you then if you would be willing to give those two a word of encouragement. Can you jump back to yesterday and post a comment?


Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed when Kanakuk stopped posting camp lists, and took away the discussion boards. This may be a way to have some of that information for those who want to be included. Perhaps when people register for kamp they can 'opt-in' or 'opt-out'.

When my daughter was 7 and at kamp for the first time, I saw her photo with another girl, and posted about it on the former discussion board and was able to 'meet' her mom on the boards and we connected through the boards while our young daughters were away. It was great. The connection is good for parents, as well as kampers.

kw

Organic Husband said...

I was disappointed too. I think we are getting all the "safety" issues ironed out and there is renewed interest in providing a great online community. It may take us some time to get it all the way we want. Your feedback is extremely helpful in the process. Let's talk about it more as time goes on. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to really have some dialog about the new kanakuk.com. Even today, as a team here in the Marketing department, we are dedicating as much of the day as possible to finalizing the initial content of the new site.

That's neat that you were able to find that other mom. I'm hoping that we are making that much easier in the days to come.

Thanks for keeping the lines of communication open!