Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Who are you talking to? - 2

I know I promised an answer and a confession. If you can't wait, skip down a couple of paragraphs, avoid the bloviating rant and save yourself the 2 minutes. [Debbie - I see you scrolling:-)]

So, I'm tired of advertising. Companies everywhere, pay attention. I want to talk to somebody with a personality, a story, someone who has the occasional bad day, and is willing to admit it. It's OK, I know your employees have a life. Don't get all crazy on me though. I don't want to know about their doctor appointments or what their horoscope promises for the weekend. I'm actually allergic to "To Much Information", I carry an emergency supply of Benadryl because if people take me seriously it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Here's the secret: I've already checked you out! I'm Googling you. I'm finding your other customers and talking to them first to see if you are legit. Seeing if it's safe to talk to you. One of my friends told me you were pretty awesome. So when I call I just want to know that somebody real is on the other end of the phone. Somebody I can now put my trust in that you'll actually care about me. If I want to talk to someone in India reading a script I'll call my guy in Bollywood direct!

OK, enough, the answer to "Who are you talking to?" Well, if you are in marketing today, if you advertise your business you aren't talking TO anyone. You are talking AT them! Which brings me to the confession: I've been talking AT you for years, through media where you really expected me to talk TO you. A give and take, back and forth. I apologize. You call, you send e-mails, you come to visit and still I wanted to talk AT you with my websites and brochures. I'm setting that aside. I'm changing. Or am I?

I'll suspend the drama now.

Who am I talking to? I want to talk to you because; we are both Kanakuk parents (my daughter is at Kamp right now for what seems like the longest time), we both work for Kanakuk (making things better is so rewarding), we share an interest in Kanakuk (we have some of the same memories). What is it going to take to get us talking? Forums/Discussion boards, Kamp Friends lists, Facebook Connect, retreats, do you want Kanakuk to come to your town? Do you want to come here? Do you want us to text message you? Do you want me to come to your office or do you want me to call? Is e-mail your speed? Leave me a comment. JGM I'm coming to your office so get ready.


Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

No comments: