Friday, August 1, 2008

K-Kauai - Kanakuk Family Kamp is better than Disney World?

[Picture removed]


I recently had a conversation with Doug Goodwin the Co-Director of K-Kauai - Kanakuk Family Kamp and he said that he has people tell him that their kids prefer Family Kamp over Disney World. OK, I can buy that because I've seen it and heard the stories. Today I ran across this post by MattMurph that confirmed just what Doug was saying.

Here's a short excerpt from that post:

The week is over, and one item of interest keeps standing out. Most of the 40 families there while we were had all been to Disney World before. And time and time again, I heard the same story from families who asked their kids earlier in the year if they would rather go to Disney World or Kanakuk? Each time the kids would give the parents the unanimous decision for Kanakuk.

I have to stop right there, because that seriously blows my mind. But on the drive home, it clicked:

Kids would rather have authentic, inspiring, and challenging activity based interaction with their family, well trained Kanakuk staff, and counselors, then have entertainment to the multi-million dollar N'th degree from Disney. Put simply, it's authentic interaction vs. world class entertainment.

All reflections aside, we had an awesome and unforgettable time and can't wait to go back.


The Kamp is just 3 years old and the word is still getting out about this little gem of a family experience. Have you been to K-Kauai? What was your experience and how would your kids answer the question: Disney World or Kanakuk?


Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I took that picture :)
Huzzah!
But it's not even that good of a picture.... :(
Was that from this year, or last year?
Michael Miller

@nnie said...

My family went to Disney World last year. But I want our next family vacation to be family kamp at Kanakuk. I'm saving NOW!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Unknown said...

I'm interviewing a lot of Families at K-Kauai right now for the promotional video, and the one thing I hear a lot from them when I ask them what they would say to someone that is thinking about coming to kamp is "you won't regret it" :)
Look forward to it, you'll have the time of your life there!

Anonymous said...

I can top the Disney World comparison. We attended Family Kamp in the summer of 2007. I have a 13 year old boy who has attended Kanakuk every year since he was 8. First year 7 days, second 14 days and third year 25 days. He would prefer we attend Family Kamp together over him going to kamp without his parents and little brother! WOW! It is an awesome experience that I wish every family could participate in. Definitely worth the investment. An investment in eternity!