Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Just That Little Bit Extra - Slolam ski camp

Slolam skiing at Kanakuk Kamps on Table Rock Lake. [Obviously not Kari]

Every child brings a special talent with him or her to Kamp. For some it’s a fantastic singing voice, for others it’s an encouraging spirit or a knack for soaking up sun! Many Kampers bring with them a desire to be great athletes. At Kanakuk, those Kampers can take their game to the next level. Kari’s story is a compilation of all their stories so you can go to the next level with them. [see further notes in previous post]

"My name is Kari. I’m sixteen-years-old and this summer at Kanakuk I took my slalom skiing to a whole new level. Before Kamp, during ski season I would get up at 5:00 almost every morning, warm-up and check my skis. I couldn’t wait to hit the smooth water at sunrise. I love competition and last year I took fourth at our State Championship, but I struggled with feeling good at the end of a run. I always felt like I had left something out there on the course. During one run in particular,


I missed a buoy and threw the rope in disgust.
I just wanted to give up. Kamp was two weeks later.
I didn’t ski for the first week I was at Kamp. It was great to have a break and I really liked my counselor, Lori. We had lots of great talks. She asked me one day if I was going to use the ski I brought. I kind of told her about what was going on and she said the same thing happened to her when she was running cross-country. The next morning during 'Backwoods' Director Ashley Robbins shared how we were each a princess of God the King and that it was our joy to serve the King and live a life pleasing to him. It really struck home with me that I wasn’t skiing for the King; I was skiing for me.

The next day my cabin went to K-Wet for two days of boating, skiing, and camping out. For the first time in weeks I wanted to ski! Lori and I got up early and hit the lake. It was beautiful-- smooth like glass. A short ride back to Paradise Cove and I was in the water. A quick nod and the boat pulled. As the driver centered the course, I prayed, 'King, this is for you.' As I lay into the first buoy I wasn’t worried about winning, how I looked, or who was watching my form. I just wanted God to know that I loved Him for loving me enough to straighten me out. Wow, it felt good! The buoys felt so close and the edge of my ski so firm in the water. Every missed buoy from here on out will be a glimpse of the King’s forgiving grace… now that’s the next level."

Personal moments with the King make the summer special for us at Kanakuk. If one Kamper takes his/her game to the next level, then all the praise goes to the Lord.

Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

No comments: