Monday, October 13, 2008

Should you send your child to Summer Camp or Seminary?

Best Friends at Kamp: The Camerons

At Kanakuk, campers have a blast doing all the fun stuff, hanging out with cool counselors, and making great friendships. This past summer the video staff at K-1 interviewed two boys, both named Cameron, both "lefties" and both sorting through deep theological issues.



When I was 8, I was still trying to figure out whether the chicken came before the egg. So I can appreciate the struggle that the Camerons had with the question "Would we be alive if Jesus didn't die on the Cross?" But they seemed to get to the bottom of it in a way that only a child could. Watching this video reminded me of Matthew 18:1-4. Cameron and Cameron gave me pause to wonder if I'm being child-like enough in my walk with Christ.

My daughter has a shirt that says "My Dad can fix anything!" Talk about pressure! She's about Cameron's age and still believes what's on her shirt. I do my best to live up to those expectations. I want her to know that when she comes to me with broken stuff that I'll at least give fixing it a try. The fun part is pointing her to the One who can fix it all. The older she get's the less it seems I can fix things :-)

If something is broken in your life, don't come running to me. God is waiting for you, waiting to give you life through the cross. So, yes, Cameron we become "alive" in Christ through His death on the cross. That's great news and I'm so glad you're already thinking about it.

When you came to Kanakuk during the summer how did it impact your life and your view of Christ?


Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This interview was my favorite interview of the summer. They were so cute and such good friends. The best part of interviewing kids this summer was that I got to hear them process everything they had experienced at Kamp. It was obvious that God was doing big things in this little minds and hearts.