Monday, September 15, 2008

Kanakuk Kamps Employee Benefit #136


After being without power at my house for over 24 hours, with 7th grade discipleship group, school and work all scheduled for early Monday morning my boys and I got up in the dark and made our way to the K-Kauai Staff building for some light and a warm shower!

Most importantly the long day without power taught our family a small amount of empathy for those in Texas, Louisiana, and the rest of the Gulf residents ravaged by Hurricane Ike and his friends. We live with so much in America and yet have so little margin in our lives. We did fine without power and water for a day. We have Wal-Mart, good friends, and a solid roof over our heads. But, what if we had been without for days, weeks, or even months?

As my wife and I lay in bed last night, listening to a neighbor's generator run, she commented about how people used to live like this all the time, many within the last 100 years. It was one of those reality check moments when priorities get jostled into a deeper, more meaningful order.

My new found empathies go out to all those effected by the storms in the Gulf and the World. To all those sleeping under the stars tonight, wondering where clean water will come from tomorrow, I hope you find shelter and hope. God has a plan, even for clean water.

As I drove to the first stop of the day my wife called and said the power had just been restored. While I'm glad I won't have to get ready for work at Kanakuk Family Kamp tomorrow, it was a nice employee perk (#136) this morning.

Have you been affected by the storms? Share your stories here so we can be praying for you.

Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

No comments: