Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Strange Marriage of Ministry and Business.

A great discussion began at Kanakuk Kamps long before I arrived and ended not too long after, about how the company should be managed. Should it make business or ministry the priority? On one hand, with out fuel the ministry will eventually collapse. It's happening in the camping industry at an alarming rate. On the other hand, ministry can't thrive in a profit driven environment. In the end it was decided that Kanakuk Kamps would be 51% Ministry and 49% business. Here are some examples of how that guides me in my work.

1. In the past, I worked to fill the theater and restaurant seats in a certain tourist town. While the work was challenging and educational it was not rewarding. Providing people with the information they need to learn about and ultimately visit Kanakuk Kamps is richly rewarding because I know each and every child is going to hear, but more importantly see, the Gospel of Christ lived out in the lives of our staff. 51% using my skills for a greater purpose, 49% using my strengths to do it in a sustainable, fiscally responsible way.

2. Decisions often come down to money, so each is weighed first on whether or not it puts Ministry on the winning side. We err on the side of doing what's best for people (51%), sometimes that puts business on the losing side (49%).

3. Pray first (51%), Plan second (49%).

4. I feel like God has placed me at Kanakuk Kamps to serve the business needs of the ministry that occurs here. I'm on the 49% side. This enables those employees on the front lines of the ministry work here to focus more of their efforts on discipling kids and mentoring counselors. They are on the 51% side. I like it that way, business serving ministry.

5. Taking an hour each week so employees can worship together, 51%. Deadlines can be missed, but not kindergarten graduations, 49%.

6. Being a good steward of what God gives us, 49%, means we'll be able to do it again next year, 51%.

If you are a fellow employee at Kanakuk how do you see this ratio worked out in your area? If you are a Kanakuk family, how well are we balancing?

No comments: