Friday, June 27, 2008

Bring your Shoes to the Cross

In 1972 at the Munich Olympic Games, 7,134 athletes, from 121 nations, participated in 195 events; Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals and set 7 world records in swimming; handball was introduced; and most notably Palestinian terrorists killed two Israeli Olympic team members and took 9 more hostage. Sadly all the Israelis and 5 of the terrorists would die, but the games would go on and an idea would be born.

Kanakuk Kamps, President, Joe White attended the 1972 Munich Olympic games. One day Joe ventured into the athlete’s village and there met and befriended a young, African American, 400-meter runner named Debbie. Debbie was from Huntsville and with Texas as something in common she and Joe struck up a conversation. Debbie gave him her pair of Adidas SL72 running shoes; A gesture of good will that would light a spark.

Those shoes and that brief moment in Munich had an impact on Joe. As the young visionary leader of Kanakuk he had a passion for seeing kids come to the Cross, to lay their burdens down, and surrender all to Jesus Christ. Kanakuk in 1972 and throughout its entire history has focused on physical, mental and Spiritual growth through sports. As a coach and a camp counselor it didn’t take Joe long to make a connection between those shoes and the mission ahead.

When Joe returned from Germany he draped those shoes over the old cedar cross that stands in the outdoor church at K-1. He explained how an athlete’s shoes, tied together and thrown over a locker door signify the end of competing and struggling to push mind and body to the limits. And, shared how an old cedar Cross represents Christ’s sacrificial and final payment for our sins. That image was to be the new logo, the new representation of Kanakuk, bringing kids to the Cross through athletics. Joe asked Casey Koons if she would sketch that picture for him and her original work is what you see on the left.


Over the years the “cross and tennis shoes” logo morphed (middle image) and the original sketch was lost. When I first started working at Kanakuk I inherited anything that had to do with printing and in a box I found this original sketch. On the far right is a 2007 illustration, by Jessica Weaver that was an attempt to take the logo back to its roots and at the same time make it fresh and new. We hope you like it. It’s a strong symbol for what we do here at Kanakuk Kamps. For many Kampers this icon echoes the moment they said, “Today, I commit to fight the good fight, to finish the race, to lay my sin and struggle down at the feet of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.”

Summer is going by so fast and so fun! The zip lines are zipping and the bell is ringing! Would you remember our staff and Kampers in prayer today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome story!

casey koons said...

my daughter sent this to me today...what joy this brings! I remember very well when Joe called me out of rest period and wanted to see me on the "boy's side". During those days (1975) girls/counselors did not go to the boy's side. When I got there he handed me a golf pencil and a scrap piece of paper (sad little tools for a would be artist). He slipped off his shoes, gave me a small vision and I sat on the boy's rock wall, looking out to the boy's cross at church and had 10 min. to draw what is now symbol of a life and faith lived well. The joy and inspiration it brings so many...well at this time in my life, reminds me that as a believer we never know what are sometimes small and insignificant jobs, can truly speak volumes to others. To know and remember the history of anything that produces a faithfilled life, can have amzing implications (look at God's word). Thanks for remembering this. Kamp will always mean the most to me as I go through my own spiritual and physical journey...to all at Kamp...press on. Casey Hagemann Koons