Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm Third

An “I’m Third” Story

After spending five summers at Kanakuk, brother and sister twins departed for college for their freshman year. They carried along with them their Christian character and the many spiritual treasures they received at Kamp. Even before unpacking their bags, each of them placed their I’m Third card on their bulletin board in their dorm room and sought to be true to that motto in every decision they made.



Often, friends would drop by their room and ask them about the I’m Third card on their wall. Each would respond the same way. “I’ll tell you the ‘why’ of the I’m Third the week I graduate from college.”

Throughout college they kept their morals pure and always sought to keep God first, others second and themselves third.



At the end of their senior year, their friends poured into each of their rooms to hear the story of the I’m Third card. They both gave their many friends a similar answer, saying, “at Kamp I received this card that reminded me to always keep God first by loving Him with all my heart. Likewise it reminds me to try to put my friends needs above my own and this card simply means, ‘I’m third’.”



A reverent hush now fell upon their friends as each understood why he had been elected President of the student body and she the Captain of her track and cross country team. In the four years that had passed, no one was ever turned away who came to these two in need of prayer or just a shoulder to lean on. To be with this brother or sister was to be with a follower of Christ and many had come to know Him because these two were faithful to keep God first, others second, and “I’m third.”

Facebook friends make your comments in the original post at Inside Kanakuk.

6 comments:

E said...

While I do like this story I am curious why Kanakuk changed the I'm Third story to this from the Captain Johnny Ferrier story that I grew up with at Kamp. Also, why has the I'm Third award been changed to the Four Square Life award? Can someone enlighten me on these? Thanks! Elizabeth

Organic Husband said...

Elizabeth -

The Johnny Ferrier story is alive and well at Kanakuk and shared with Kampers all summer long! We have both the I'm Third Award and the Four Square Life Award.

We are recognizing Kampers with a the new "One Heart At a Time" award starting this summer and continuing through the year. We want to encouraged Kampers who see the needs of others, serve them and in so doing share the Gospel and love of Christ.

Hope the rest of your summer is blessed.

E said...

Jay,
My daughter went to K1 this summer and when awards were handed out I didn't see, or possibly missed, the I'm Third awards, which prompted the question. I have to admit I'm sad to see the I'm Third cards have been changed, I guess I'm nostalgic. Do you have any of the old ones? I'm afraid all of mine are lost or too well packed away with my childhood to be found and I would really love to be able to have one of the Johnny Ferrier cards again.
I also didn't see the One Heart At a Time award, although I was the proud parent of a Widow's Mite recipient for the second year. Kamp certainly has changed leaps and bounds since I was a kamper, but all for the good.
Thanks for the answers!
Elizabeth

Organic Husband said...

Elizabeth,

One Heart at a Time awards were given out during the Kamp term. You can see some of the awards at www.kanakukoneheart.org.

I'm going to look for one of the old Johnny Ferrier cards for you. Can you email me at jay@kanakuk.com and I'll be able to send that out to you.

Thanks for being a fan of Kanakuk! It's fun to see generations of families involved and sharing the summer camping experience.

Jay

E said...

Jay,

Thanks for the link, I love seeing all the pictures and stories! We're already looking at Kamp for next summer and are so excited!

Thanks!
Elizabeth

DeAnna Lee Pope said...

I'm performing Joe White's "I'm Third" Speech for school!

--DeAnna Pope